Friday, March 30, 2012

Network connection problem when trying to use SSMS

I have two SQL servers that are having the same problem. I have
recently installed SSMS on my laptop, and when I try to connect to one
of my SQL Servers using SSMS, the NIC card dies. I have two NICs in
both of these servers, one on the normal LAN, and the other NIC is
used on a separate VLAN that the servers use to talk to each other.
After a minute or two of being connected to the SQL database, the
server just stops responding. I can't ping it, I can't RDP into it,
and I can't connect to any of the DBs on it from the LAN. I can still
access the server from one of the other servers, however, because that
NIC is not affected. As soon as I open a web browser from that server
and try to go to an external website, the NIC reactivates and I can
access it from the LAN again. I can manage the DBs on the other
server using SSMS without a problem, however. An associate of mine,
is having the exact same problem, but with the other server. He is
able to manage the server that I can't from the LAN using SSMS, and
vice versa. I've done some googling, but haven't had any luck as of
yet.
Has anyone else seen this and know how to fix it'
Thanks, in advance.Hi Matt
I assume you have tried changing the NICs?
Have you looked at the perfmon counters to see the NIC activity?
Are you using any monitoring, AV, IDS or software update software on your
networks?
John
"Matt" wrote:
> I have two SQL servers that are having the same problem. I have
> recently installed SSMS on my laptop, and when I try to connect to one
> of my SQL Servers using SSMS, the NIC card dies. I have two NICs in
> both of these servers, one on the normal LAN, and the other NIC is
> used on a separate VLAN that the servers use to talk to each other.
> After a minute or two of being connected to the SQL database, the
> server just stops responding. I can't ping it, I can't RDP into it,
> and I can't connect to any of the DBs on it from the LAN. I can still
> access the server from one of the other servers, however, because that
> NIC is not affected. As soon as I open a web browser from that server
> and try to go to an external website, the NIC reactivates and I can
> access it from the LAN again. I can manage the DBs on the other
> server using SSMS without a problem, however. An associate of mine,
> is having the exact same problem, but with the other server. He is
> able to manage the server that I can't from the LAN using SSMS, and
> vice versa. I've done some googling, but haven't had any luck as of
> yet.
> Has anyone else seen this and know how to fix it'
> Thanks, in advance.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment