Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Network cables

I just absolutely had to share this. The below email just arrived at our
helpdesk from one of the suits upstairs:
<suit>
Just a quick one. When I hooked up my PC I plugged in grey cable that was
about 20 feet long. It works but I'm wondering if I really need a proper
Ethernet cable (usually blue?). Am I totally imagining this or could I be
using the wrong wire?
</suit>
Peace & happy computing,
Mike Labosh, MCSD
"Escriba coda ergo sum." -- vbSenseiMike Labosh wrote:
> I just absolutely had to share this. The below email just arrived at
> our helpdesk from one of the suits upstairs:
> <suit>
> Just a quick one. When I hooked up my PC I plugged in grey cable that
> was about 20 feet long. It works but I'm wondering if I really need a
> proper Ethernet cable (usually blue?). Am I totally imagining this or
> could I be using the wrong wire?
> </suit>
Get him a shorter, blue one. They look better and feel better about
themselves. I've met many grey cables who feel left out of the
color-coded community. Sometimes giving the grey cable a name tag can
make him feel more important. So instead of "grey cable," he'll be
referred to as "Jim".
"Just a quick one. When I hooked up my PC I plugged in Jim (he's about
about 20 feet long). Jim works, but I'm wondering if I need a more
colorful ethernet cable (preferably a blue one named Sasha). Am I
totally wrong about this or could Jim be all I need?"
David Gugick
Imceda Software
www.imceda.com|||Reply back stating that the cable isn't grey but is actually silver, and
silver cables are reserved for senior management.
"David Gugick" <davidg-nospam@.imceda.com> wrote in message
news:uuU6XOIXFHA.2796@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Mike Labosh wrote:
> Get him a shorter, blue one. They look better and feel better about
> themselves. I've met many grey cables who feel left out of the
> color-coded community. Sometimes giving the grey cable a name tag can
> make him feel more important. So instead of "grey cable," he'll be
> referred to as "Jim".
> "Just a quick one. When I hooked up my PC I plugged in Jim (he's about
> about 20 feet long). Jim works, but I'm wondering if I need a more
> colorful ethernet cable (preferably a blue one named Sasha). Am I
> totally wrong about this or could Jim be all I need?"
>
> --
> David Gugick
> Imceda Software
> www.imceda.com
>|||> Reply back stating that the cable isn't grey but is actually silver, and
> silver cables are reserved for senior management.
The support tech answering the request told the guy that it's ok because
grey cables are faster than blue ones. This is really turning into a scene
from "Dilbert".
--
Peace & happy computing,
Mike Labosh, MCSD
"Escriba coda ergo sum." -- vbSensei|||"Mike Labosh" <mlabosh@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uta7A0IXFHA.1468@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> The support tech answering the request told the guy that it's ok because
> grey cables are faster than blue ones. This is really turning into a
scene
> from "Dilbert".
> --
> Peace & happy computing,
> Mike Labosh, MCSD
> "Escriba coda ergo sum." -- vbSensei
>
If he is an important suit, you'd better get the Belkin Gold or Monster
Cable one for 4x the price.
This is not a scene from Dilbert. It is BIG business. Just take a look at
the CompUSA cable aisles.|||"User" <user@.aol.com> wrote in message
news:#O5mq0MXFHA.2796@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "Mike Labosh" <mlabosh@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:uta7A0IXFHA.1468@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
and
> scene
> If he is an important suit, you'd better get the Belkin Gold or Monster
> Cable one for 4x the price.
> This is not a scene from Dilbert. It is BIG business. Just take a look at
> the CompUSA cable aisles.
>
And yes, the packaging and display imply the cables are faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment