Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Netscape Support

Can someone give me the status of Reporting Services support for
Netscape 7.1? I'm running sp1, and the report toolbar features
such as Export and Paging won't work in Netscape. Also
the formatting is all messed up. Books online
says Netscape 7.1 is supported- what's the deal?
Is there a patch or a workaround?
thanks,
Thomson Developer
Thomson LearningThere is a patch, and it is called IE6! ;-)))
"thomsonDeveloper" <thomsonDeveloper@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:4F568713-FFD2-42F0-B938-E43C0CD7441B@.microsoft.com...
> Can someone give me the status of Reporting Services support for
> Netscape 7.1? I'm running sp1, and the report toolbar features
> such as Export and Paging won't work in Netscape. Also
> the formatting is all messed up. Books online
> says Netscape 7.1 is supported- what's the deal?
> Is there a patch or a workaround?
> thanks,
> Thomson Developer
> Thomson Learning|||I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I consider Microsoft's lack of
support for Netscape / Mozilla / Opera a little shortsighted. What if you
plan on deploying to your outside clients? This will be a big issue. I
don't understand how keeping all of this IE specific helps MS or your
organization...
JD
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:35:48 +0200, Marcus Phass wrote:
> There is a patch, and it is called IE6! ;-)))
> "thomsonDeveloper" <thomsonDeveloper@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:4F568713-FFD2-42F0-B938-E43C0CD7441B@.microsoft.com...
>> Can someone give me the status of Reporting Services support for
>> Netscape 7.1? I'm running sp1, and the report toolbar features
>> such as Export and Paging won't work in Netscape. Also
>> the formatting is all messed up. Books online
>> says Netscape 7.1 is supported- what's the deal?
>> Is there a patch or a workaround?
>> thanks,
>> Thomson Developer
>> Thomson Learning|||Sorry Marcus but your answer is not good enough.
As a vendor I can not dictate to my clients which browser to use. In actual
fact I dont think that making the report viewer cross browser capable is a
lot of work but rather microsofts decision not to.
Reporting Services have so much potential to be a great solution but the
lack of plain simple RTF support and cross browser /platform support is 2
small issues that I rate extremly high for a basic report service.|||Simply I have a solution to the Netscape / Non IE browser
incompatibilites in the toolbar.
On the note of Netscape / Firefox / Safari support on Report Server it
has been nearly the bane on of my Reporting Services experience for the
last 5 months.
I have tried nearly everything possible to make Reporting Services WORK
Correctly with Netscape. (even at one point coming up with a hack to
have RS Load MY Javascript files instead of the ones MS Weeds into the
Resouces Files of the assembely)
The problem as most of you are aware (that are familiar with the
Netscape - Non -IE ) the MAIN Problem lies in the Toolbar
2 days ago I decided to resolve this once an for all, as I have a
client that uses all macs (safari and IE) And since Drill Down /
Export dosent work readily on Mac IE I had to do something drastic
(Although I do have a hack to make this work as well.
What I did was write my own toolbar component. The only thing it lacks
is the "FIND" And I doubt I will add it as nearly all our reports (Of
75 only 1 is multi page)
The neat part is it isnt a hack, its clean and slick , and Export
works, and Paging works , and Zoom works, on ANY Browser, better Yet I
am not using ANY Javascipt and it all works just fine with IE TOO !!!
Now all that said I have tried to think of what to do with what I have
come up with , since MS is too lazy (I'm pretty sure they simply choose
not to acknowledge other browsers as that would be some kind of
recognition or validation in the strange land of MS)
What I have done has value to me first of all, since I can now aside
from a very few cosmetic issues in NS deploy reports cross browser
without fear.
But does it have value (yes cash value) to others of you out there , as
either a custom control, or as a thrid party product ?
Or as some kind of source liscencing deal with other developers and
Reporting Services users ?
I have not seen this elsewhere and have looked and looked so I wrote
it, if you have interest in such an item drop me a line, or post here I
am curious to find out if there is interest.
Chris Wertman
Gideon wrote:
> Sorry Marcus but your answer is not good enough.
> As a vendor I can not dictate to my clients which browser to use. In
actual
> fact I dont think that making the report viewer cross browser capable
is a
> lot of work but rather microsofts decision not to.
> Reporting Services have so much potential to be a great solution but
the
> lack of plain simple RTF support and cross browser /platform support
is 2
> small issues that I rate extremly high for a basic report service.|||I would be interested in how you got it to work. I like to use quality apps first when available and why I use Firefox. I HAVE to use reporting services although the amount of problems I have run into it would have been far cheaper in the long run to have just purchased ActiveReports. In alot easier to develop reports with. sigh...
java_cruise
--
Message posted via http://www.sqlmonster.com|||Not to be terse, I am really not, but lots of reading.
And a little custom voddoo
Start with reading all the XML and URL Access info, I actually use a
combination webservice and HTML Utl access to get what I want and do
what I want, then mix those up, kill Cookie Based Sessions (This will
enable the drill down to work from with the frameset even on IE
(Without this it will only work on NS), Create a new frameset and do
some parsing of the report as it is being passed through the server to
capture (80% of the hard part) the pagecount for the pager to work.
I am prettying it up with a .Net 2.0 "Look" toolbar and I will post
some shots next week, I am also writing a custom FORM Based Security
mechanism for report based access that will work against the .Net 2.0
authentication provider (at least within a client)
I have seen and been mailed a ton of time on how I actually got mine to
work (the form based auth) so I figured I would post at least that, I
am still thinking if its better to provide it as a paid item, or charge
for it (It seems that even when I release something free I spend MORE
time supporting those who would implement it)
Chris
java cruise via SQLMonster.com wrote:
> I would be interested in how you got it to work. I like to use
quality apps first when available and why I use Firefox. I HAVE to use
reporting services although the amount of problems I have run into it
would have been far cheaper in the long run to have just purchased
ActiveReports. In alot easier to develop reports with. sigh...
>
> java_cruise
> --
> Message posted via http://www.sqlmonster.com|||Chris,
Were you able to fix the non-IE browser formatting issues as well as
the toolbar? We would be very interested in your solution if this is
the case.
TIA,
Greg
greg @. adsys dot com|||I didnt because it wast an issue for me.
You could "re-render" the report as it passes throught the toolbar (the
replacment toolbar) swapping out MS specific code that causes problems
in Netscape.
Generally for me at least the only thing that happens is the reports
get a little "squished" width wise , so when writing them I have the
report guys make em wider :)
Now we do only a very simple (visually) report thats are tables in a
grid like arrangment so I wouldnt know of other issues.
And like I said you could easily swap out the offending code at runtime
, assuming it is a tag or combination of tags that are casuing the
grief.
Chris
ghesla@.gmail.com wrote:
> Chris,
> Were you able to fix the non-IE browser formatting issues as well as
> the toolbar? We would be very interested in your solution if this is
> the case.
> TIA,
> Greg
> greg @. adsys dot com|||I didnt because it wast an issue for me.
You could "re-render" the report as it passes throught the toolbar (the
replacment toolbar) swapping out MS specific code that causes problems
in Netscape.
Generally for me at least the only thing that happens is the reports
get a little "squished" width wise , so when writing them I have the
report guys make em wider :)
Now we do only a very simple (visually) report thats are tables in a
grid like arrangment so I wouldnt know of other issues.
And like I said you could easily swap out the offending code at runtime
, assuming it is a tag or combination of tags that are casuing the
grief.
Chris
ghesla@.gmail.com wrote:
> Chris,
> Were you able to fix the non-IE browser formatting issues as well as
> the toolbar? We would be very interested in your solution if this is
> the case.
> TIA,
> Greg
> greg @. adsys dot com|||I am interested. If you can give me a proof of concept or demo of some sort,
we can talk money. I don't care to develop this nor am I all that interested
how it works, I'd just rather pay for it and be done with it.
"WertmanTheMad" wrote:
> Simply I have a solution to the Netscape / Non IE browser
> incompatibilites in the toolbar.
> On the note of Netscape / Firefox / Safari support on Report Server it
> has been nearly the bane on of my Reporting Services experience for the
> last 5 months.
> I have tried nearly everything possible to make Reporting Services WORK
> Correctly with Netscape. (even at one point coming up with a hack to
> have RS Load MY Javascript files instead of the ones MS Weeds into the
> Resouces Files of the assembely)
> The problem as most of you are aware (that are familiar with the
> Netscape - Non -IE ) the MAIN Problem lies in the Toolbar
> 2 days ago I decided to resolve this once an for all, as I have a
> client that uses all macs (safari and IE) And since Drill Down /
> Export dosent work readily on Mac IE I had to do something drastic
> (Although I do have a hack to make this work as well.
> What I did was write my own toolbar component. The only thing it lacks
> is the "FIND" And I doubt I will add it as nearly all our reports (Of
> 75 only 1 is multi page)
> The neat part is it isnt a hack, its clean and slick , and Export
> works, and Paging works , and Zoom works, on ANY Browser, better Yet I
> am not using ANY Javascipt and it all works just fine with IE TOO !!!
> Now all that said I have tried to think of what to do with what I have
> come up with , since MS is too lazy (I'm pretty sure they simply choose
> not to acknowledge other browsers as that would be some kind of
> recognition or validation in the strange land of MS)
> What I have done has value to me first of all, since I can now aside
> from a very few cosmetic issues in NS deploy reports cross browser
> without fear.
> But does it have value (yes cash value) to others of you out there , as
> either a custom control, or as a thrid party product ?
> Or as some kind of source liscencing deal with other developers and
> Reporting Services users ?
> I have not seen this elsewhere and have looked and looked so I wrote
> it, if you have interest in such an item drop me a line, or post here I
> am curious to find out if there is interest.
> Chris Wertman
>
>
>
>
> Gideon wrote:
> > Sorry Marcus but your answer is not good enough.
> >
> > As a vendor I can not dictate to my clients which browser to use. In
> actual
> > fact I dont think that making the report viewer cross browser capable
> is a
> > lot of work but rather microsofts decision not to.
> >
> > Reporting Services have so much potential to be a great solution but
> the
> > lack of plain simple RTF support and cross browser /platform support
> is 2
> > small issues that I rate extremly high for a basic report service.
>|||You can solve this by writing your own Rendering method. See the microsoft
link below.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/RSPROG/htm/rsp_prog_intro_1pia.asp
If the image get squished, write a small javascript to disable the style
attribute of images. It worked for me.
Kanchana Eramudugoda
"Eddie" wrote:
> I am interested. If you can give me a proof of concept or demo of some sort,
> we can talk money. I don't care to develop this nor am I all that interested
> how it works, I'd just rather pay for it and be done with it.
>
> "WertmanTheMad" wrote:
> > Simply I have a solution to the Netscape / Non IE browser
> > incompatibilites in the toolbar.
> >
> > On the note of Netscape / Firefox / Safari support on Report Server it
> > has been nearly the bane on of my Reporting Services experience for the
> > last 5 months.
> >
> > I have tried nearly everything possible to make Reporting Services WORK
> > Correctly with Netscape. (even at one point coming up with a hack to
> > have RS Load MY Javascript files instead of the ones MS Weeds into the
> > Resouces Files of the assembely)
> >
> > The problem as most of you are aware (that are familiar with the
> > Netscape - Non -IE ) the MAIN Problem lies in the Toolbar
> >
> > 2 days ago I decided to resolve this once an for all, as I have a
> > client that uses all macs (safari and IE) And since Drill Down /
> > Export dosent work readily on Mac IE I had to do something drastic
> > (Although I do have a hack to make this work as well.
> >
> > What I did was write my own toolbar component. The only thing it lacks
> > is the "FIND" And I doubt I will add it as nearly all our reports (Of
> > 75 only 1 is multi page)
> >
> > The neat part is it isnt a hack, its clean and slick , and Export
> > works, and Paging works , and Zoom works, on ANY Browser, better Yet I
> > am not using ANY Javascipt and it all works just fine with IE TOO !!!
> >
> > Now all that said I have tried to think of what to do with what I have
> > come up with , since MS is too lazy (I'm pretty sure they simply choose
> > not to acknowledge other browsers as that would be some kind of
> > recognition or validation in the strange land of MS)
> >
> > What I have done has value to me first of all, since I can now aside
> > from a very few cosmetic issues in NS deploy reports cross browser
> > without fear.
> >
> > But does it have value (yes cash value) to others of you out there , as
> > either a custom control, or as a thrid party product ?
> >
> > Or as some kind of source liscencing deal with other developers and
> > Reporting Services users ?
> >
> > I have not seen this elsewhere and have looked and looked so I wrote
> > it, if you have interest in such an item drop me a line, or post here I
> > am curious to find out if there is interest.
> >
> > Chris Wertman
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Gideon wrote:
> > > Sorry Marcus but your answer is not good enough.
> > >
> > > As a vendor I can not dictate to my clients which browser to use. In
> > actual
> > > fact I dont think that making the report viewer cross browser capable
> > is a
> > > lot of work but rather microsofts decision not to.
> > >
> > > Reporting Services have so much potential to be a great solution but
> > the
> > > lack of plain simple RTF support and cross browser /platform support
> > is 2
> > > small issues that I rate extremly high for a basic report service.
> >
> >

No comments:

Post a Comment