Monday, February 20, 2012

Need to transfer certain rows from one table into another table

On my online store, I need to figure out with sql how I can copy data from several different tables into another table:

There is a table that contains all of the customers billing info

another table has customer's shipping info

The target table is for tracking and processing orders. I will need to populate different fields from different tables, as well as insert values into fields from my code behind (i.e. customers can choose different types of shipping, payment options). I googled this and keep running into the join statement (which I use all the time). I don't need to join anything for displaying, I literally need insert data into a column in my orders table, just not sure what the sql syntax is for that.

You can use an "Insert Into" SQL statementsimilar to this:

INSERT INTO MyTable (Name, Description)
SELECT Name, Description
FROM MyOtherTable WHERE ID = 5;

No comments:

Post a Comment